Social Insurance Number

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits.

The Basics:

  • You can apply for a SIN if you are a Canadian citizen, a newcomer to Canada or a temporary resident.
  • People of any age can obtain a SIN. Children who are 12 years of age or older may apply for their own SIN. Parents and legal guardians can also apply for a SIN for children under the age of majority of their province.
  • Be aware of the documents that you need to provide when applying for SIN. Such documents include a birth certificate, a certificate of Canadian Citizenship, a certificate of Indian Status, a Permanent Resident Card, or a work or study permit.