Medical and Health Information Tools
Knowing about diseases and other medical conditions can help you to prevent them and recognize health concerns early so that you can get the care you need.
- In some provinces and territories, free professional health advice and referrals are available to residents by phone. Use the links below for information about the services offered by your province or territory.
- Health Canada, the Public Health Agency of Canada and provincial ministries of health offer information about many diseases and medical conditions that can affect youth, including:
- You can protect yourself against many diseases by getting vaccinated.
- Accurate information about sexual and reproductive health, including contraception (birth control) is available on the internet from Health Canada and other public organizations such as the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada.
- Taking a trip? Learn about vaccination against diseases and other health precautions to take before and during your trip abroad.
Helpful Web Sites:
Health Advice and Referral Services
The Web sites linked-to below have phone numbers that you can call for free, professional health advice and referrals to health care.
- Alberta - MyHealthAlberta
- British Columbia - HealthLink BC
- Manitoba - Health Links - Info Santé
- New Brunswick - Tele-Care
- Newfoundland and Labrador - HealthLine
- Nova Scotia - HealthLink 811
- Ontario - Telehealth Ontario
- Quebec - Info-Santé 811
- Saskatchewan - HealthLine at 811
- Yukon HealthLine - 811
Diseases and Medical Conditions
- Learn about the symptoms, prevention and treatment of many Infectious Diseases, such as mumps, salmonella, malaria, Lyme disease and rabies, with information from the Public Health Agency of Canada.
- Learn more about the symptoms, prevention and treatment of many Chronic Diseases, such as cancer, cardiovascular diseases and diabetes, with information from the Public Health Agency of Canada.
- Find out about the symptoms, spread, treatment and prevention of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) and review the STI - Sexually Transmitted Infections pamphlet with authoritative information from the Public Health Agency of Canada.
- Use the Interactive Health Symptom Checker from HealthLink BC to learn about diseases and conditions affecting various parts of the body.
- Clear up any misconceptions you may have about the effectiveness of Immunization and Vaccines with authoritative information from the Public Health Agency of Canada.
- Check out the long list of diseases that can now be prevented through vaccination at the Vaccine-Preventable Diseases pages from the Public Health Agency of Canada.
- Start your travel planning with Travel Health Information and General Travel Advice from the Public Health Agency of Canada.
- Review lists of Travel Health Clinics across Canada to find one in your area.
- The Travel Reports and Warnings Web pages for each of the world’s countries, issued by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, include travel health information.