Are you ready to get out into the world? Are you planning to travel outside of Canada for adventure, studies or work? Need some help getting organized? The information below can help you to prepare for your trip, regardless of your destination or purpose.

All Travellers

The Basics:

  • To travel to most countries, you will need a passport, which is an official piece of identification that you will need to keep with you as you travel.
  • You may also need a visa, which is a permit to visit another country. Visas are issued by the country that you want to visit. You can apply for a visa by contacting the embassy or consulate in Canada of the country that you want to visit.
  • Diseases, such as malaria, hepatitis and tuberculosis may be a greater risk in the country that you will be visiting. Ask your doctor about the need for additional vaccinations at least a few months before you travel abroad.
  • Travel insurance can protect you from many risks, such as the need for medical care, liability in case of accidents, or ensuring that you will have transportation home.
  • If you get into some kind of trouble while travelling abroad, or you lose your passport, a Canadian embassy or consulate can provide help.
  • Consider registering with Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada before your trip. This service is provided so that they can contact and assist you in an emergency in a foreign country, such as a natural disaster or civil unrest, or inform you of a family emergency at home.

Helpful Web Sites:

  • Use the Traveller's Checklist from Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada to plan your trip preparations.
  • To learn more about the countries that you want to visit, including dangers or restrictions that you should be aware of, see the Web site from Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.
  • To apply for a visa, contact the diplomatic mission of the country that you want to visit. This information is available at the Diplomatic Gateway to Canada Web site. You can also find links to the Web sites of Foreign representatives in Canada at the same site.

Studying Abroad

Are you considering travelling after finishing school or taking some time off from your studies and going abroad? Why not do both? Whether you're already studying abroad or are only starting to consider it as an option, the tips and Web sites listed below will offer you information from planning for your studies to resources that will help you while you're away.

The Basics:

  • Many universities offer international exchange programs in a variety of different areas of study. This provides you with a chance to experience a different culture while still completing your university degree in Canada.
  • The Government of Canada, Canadian universities and colleges, and numerous organizations support international exchanges and internship programs which provide the skills and knowledge that students need to compete in the Canadian and global job markets.
  • A number of international scholarships are available for students wishing to pursue their studies abroad.
  • Although every effort may be made to make your experience studying abroad as enjoyable as possible, keep in mind that first you must obtain documentation such as a study permit, visa and/or a passport to study in other countries. A Canadian office in your country of destination will be able to provide you with information on the specific requirements to study in that country.

Helpful Web Sites:

  • The Government of Canada's International Scholarship Program offers scholarships to graduate studies students wishing to pursue their studies or research abroad. They also offer a list of scholarship opportunities offered by other government agencies.
  • Contact a Canadian Offices Abroad for information on specific requirements for studying in your country of choice.
  • The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials provides information on recognition of foreign credentials for students who wish to study abroad.
  • View a Traveller's Checklist to ensure that you have everything covered when travelling abroad.

Working Abroad

Pay your way and get work experience by working while travelling. Canada has formal agreements with many countries to allow youth to work there temporarily. Those countries include:

  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Chile
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Korea, Republic of
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

Several non-profit development and educational organizations also sponsor Canadian youth to work abroad.

The Basics:

Find out what it takes, as a Canadian, to set-up a work term abroad. Be aware that, depending on the country involved, you may need to:

  • Pay for your own travel, food and accommodation;
  • Find your own job in the country that you visit;
  • Be a Canadian citizen;
  • Hold a valid passport;
  • Get a work visa from the country that you want to visit;
  • Prove that you have money to support yourself and/or a return travel ticket, plus medical and/or liability insurance.
  • Prove that you have no criminal record;
  • Be a student or recent graduate;
  • Report your location to authorities;
  • Pay a fee to obtain a work visa.

Keep in mind that the age of eligibility, length of time of the visa, and ability to renew the visa will also vary from country to country. For more details, visit the Web sites below.

Helpful Web Sites:

  • Learn about working holidays, student work abroad programs, international co-op placements and young professional / young worker opportunities through Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada's International Youth Programs Web site.
  • Prepare yourself to work abroad with Working Abroad: Unravelling the maze, a guide from Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada that contains information on finding a job in another country, evaluating job offers, getting proper documents, insurance, health, vaccinations, housing, money and many other topics.