Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Have a specific question in mind? Our Frequently Asked Questions will direct you to the information you are looking for.

How do I find a job?

  • Review the Where to Look For a Job Web page for tips on how to prepare your job search and find employment opportunities.

I lost my job. Now what?

How do I replace my bank, credit, and identification cards (ID)?

Service Canada has created a Web page that outlines what to do if you have lost your wallet or your ID cards, including contacting banks and the police, and replacing your credit cards, driver’s license, birth certificate, citizenship certificate, passport, Social Insurance card, and health card.

What government benefits can I apply for?

Find out if you are eligible to receive government benefits by completing the Benefits Finder profile at the Web site.

What are my rights at work?

Get a summary of employment standards for youth across Canada, including minimum ages to work, on Employment and Social Development Canada’s Employment Standards Legislation in Canada Web page.

Am I old enough to work?

The minimum age for employment varies from province to province and from job to job.

How do I apply for a job with the federal government?

  • Full-time students can post their resume at the Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP) Web site and apply for temporary student jobs within the federal public service of Canada.
  • Find out what careers the Public Service has to offer and how to apply for jobs across Canada at the Web site.

I am an employer and want to hire a student. Where do I post job notices? Are there government programs that provide funding or wage subsidies?

  • Employers can advertise jobs for youth through the Job Bank Web site.
  • Employers and organizations can apply for funding to assist youth facing barriers to employment through the Skills Link program.
  • Employers and organizations can apply for funding to create career-related work experiences for post-secondary graduates through the Career Focus program.
  • Create a summer job for students! Canadian not-for-profit organizations, public sector employers and small businesses with 50 or fewer full-time employees can apply for funding to create summer job opportunities for students through the Canada Summer Jobs program.

I want to start my own business. Where do I begin?

View the Starting Your Own Business page for information and links to help you with issues like business registration, planning, financing and taxes.

I want to work abroad. What do I need to do to get ready?

View the Working Abroad page for information and links to help you prepare.

How can I finance my education?

The Financing Your Education page will provide you with information and tips on financing your education and links related to student loans, grants, bursaries and scholarships.

What options do I have for studying abroad?

Find information and links about international scholarships, exchange agreements and travel tips for studying abroad on the Studying Abroad page.

How can I determine the best career path for me?

  • Determine your career options using interactive tools and tips.
  • Get career counselling guidance to help you determine a career path and get informed on what you’ll need to know to get there.

How can I develop the skills I need for the career I want?

Outside of school, there are many ways you can develop employment skills. Consider the following:

  • Take advantage of co-operative education programs at your school and gain work experience through classroom study and work term placements.
  • Take part in an apprenticeship program and gain a trade certification which is recognized across Canada.
  • Volunteering is a great way to get work experience! You will learn new skills by trying new jobs. You might also find something you would like to do for a living, or discover what you would not want to do.

How do I fill out my income tax form?

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) offers an online course to help you learn how to file a tax return and further information to help you to understand all about your tax return.

How can I better manage my money?

Get tips and links to Web sites about wise spending habits and financial management on the Managing Your Finances page.

How do I get a passport so that I can travel outside Canada?

Find the information that you need to apply for, or renew, a passport at the Passport Canada Web site.

Who can I contact in an emergency while travelling abroad?

The Emergency Operations Centre of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. An experienced officer is always available to respond to emergency calls from anywhere in the world.

For calls originating in Canada and the U.S., call 1 800 267-6788 or 613-944-6788.
Canadian citizens outside Canada can call collect to 613-996-8885.
Some countries also have toll-free lines to contact the Operations Centre in Ottawa.

I live outside Canada. Where can I find information about visiting Canada, studying or working in Canada, immigrating to Canada or claiming refugee status?

Citizenship and Immigration Canada provides authoritative information on their Web site for each of these topics: